Trust In An Attorney Who Will Fight For Your License

Get The Information You Need About A Personal Injury

If you have questions about your potential case, you can find answers at the Law Office of Helene Mark. Attorney Paul D. Gentile has experience helping people after serious car accidents, slip-and-falls, truck accidents and many other catastrophes. On this page, you can find the answers to some of his clients’ most frequently asked questions.

What Is No-fault Insurance?

After a motor vehicle accident, No-Fault insurance, also called Personal Injury Protection or PIP, means that your own insurance company must cover your damages up to $50,000, even if you are at fault or share fault for a car accident. It can also cover up to 80% of your lost income. Both New York and New Jersey are no-fault states.

What If My Damages Exceed The No-fault Coverage?

It is common for medical bills and wage loss to exceed $50,000 in a serious injury accident. First, you can apply for Additional No-Fault benefits if any driver in your household purchased that optional extra coverage. You might also file a claim with your health insurance provider to cover any medical expenses that exceed the basic no-fault limit.

Lastly, if another driver’s negligence caused your accident, you can bring a lawsuit against that driver’s insurance to cover the difference after your no-fault benefits are exhausted. For example, if your total damages were $110,000, your PIP policy would cover the first $50,000 and you could sue the other driver for the remaining $60,000.

What Is Comparative Negligence?

Even if you were partly to blame for an accident, New York’s comparative negligence law allows you to recover a portion of your damages. For example, if it is proven that you share 20% fault for the crash, you can still recover compensation for up to 80% of your damages.

Who Can Bring A Wrongful Death Lawsuit In New York?

Not just anyone can file a claim for wrongful death. Only the following people have standing to bring the claim:

  • The decedent’s children
  • The decedent’s parents
  • The decedent’s spouse
  • A representative for the decedent’s estate

If you suffer the tragic loss of a loved one, you may have the right to file a lawsuit for wrongful death.

Will I Have To Go To Court?

Most claims settle privately. However, if the insurance company is not willing to settle your case, attorney Paul D. Gentile will fight for you and if necessary, take your case to trial to make sure you obtain the compensation you deserve. You can get a better idea of what to expect when you sit down with a lawyer who can evaluate your case.

How Much Does A Lawyer Cost?

All initial consultations are completely free. The firm is only compensated if and when we win your case. You do not pay anything upfront. If we are unable to obtain any compensation for you, you will not have to pay.

Learn More By Speaking To An Attorney

This is just a small slice of the information that you need when considering a personal injury lawyer. Contact our firm to set up a free, no-obligation consultation about your potential claim with attorney Paul D. Gentile.

Call 718-673-9305 or send an email today. The Law Office of Helene Mark is located in Staten Island, serving all five boroughs of New York City and surrounding New Jersey.