Trust In An Attorney Who Will Fight For Your License

Skillfully Advocating For Premises Liability Accident Victims

Property owners have an obligation to keep their premises safe. In New York City, for example, homeowners, landlords and businesses must clear walkways within four hours of a snowfall. If you suffered injuries from a slip-and-fall or another accident on someone else’s property, you need the help of the Law Office of Helene Mark.

Attorney Paul D. Gentile handles personal injury cases for the firm, including premises liability claims. He works with clients who have suffered lasting injuries and financial damages due to the negligence of property owners.

Slip-And-Falls And Other Premises Liability

Property owners can be responsible for falls and other injury accidents resulting from unsafe property conditions, such as:

  • Cracked or raised pavement
  • Slippery sidewalks (snow or black ice)
  • Slippery floors (spilled liquids, leaks, mopping/waxing)
  • Parking lot potholes
  • Dangerous staircases (broken steps or railings)
  • Broken lights or dim lighting
  • Inadequate security

Paul often inspects the accident site himself and will hire an expert to investigate, if necessary. This is crucial for gathering evidence before it disappears or is removed.

Did The Property Owner Fail In Their Duty?

Property owners are not automatically responsible for accidents or injuries that happen on their property. People are expected to watch where they’re going and use reasonable caution. The key to establishing liability is proving the property owner caused a dangerous condition or had notice of the dangerous condition and failed to take timely action to fix it or properly warn individuals of the hazard. For example, the owner should clear away fresh snow or ice accumulations after a storm or put out safety cones next to a puddle or freshly mopped floor.

What Should You Do After An Accident?

The steps you take after any type of accident can strengthen your claim significantly. Try to follow this list:

  1. Seek medical attention immediately and follow up with treatment.
  2. Call the police and have them file an accident report.
  3. Take photographs of the accident scene and your injuries.
  4. Get the names and contact information of the property owner and any witnesses.
  5. Do not speak with an insurance company or give a recorded statement.
  6. Consult an attorney as early as possible to preserve evidence and preserve your rights.

If the accident took place in a municipal building or on government-owned land, you can sue the city or government entity. But you only have 90 days to submit a written notice of your claim, so it is crucial to act quickly.

Paul D. Gentile can help you with all these steps, shouldering the difficult processes so you can focus on your physical recovery. As a former district attorney, he knows how to navigate the legal system and is prepared to litigate your claim if needed.

Call Today For A Free Consultation To Discuss Your Claim

The Law Office of Helene Mark can help you understand your options, protect your rights, and help you obtain compensation for your injuries due to a property owner’s negligence. Call our law office today 718-673-9305 or use the firm’s online contact form. Attorney Paul D. Gentile provides free initial consultations and there are no attorney fees unless he wins your case!